[ESS] Advice on setting up ESS to edit and knit Rmarkdown files

Mon Sep 20 16:45:45 CEST 2021

On 20 September 2021 at 13:59, Sparapani, Rodney via ESS-help wrote:
| Over the last few years, we have moved away from having to set up features
| with .emacs/etc.  as much as possible.  Generally, this stuff should just
| work out-of-the-box.

I completely concur and _love it_.

I mostly just have an old .emacs because well over the years I put some
toggles or preferences there.  But stuff does work.

(Every now and then defaults change in ways some of us don't like. I for one
prefer older indentations over the newer clang-format / R's lintr or styler
default which I find unreadable. Luckly I have a snippet I added in 1997 or
so straight from the manual and all is good for me. [ I did have to holler
once or twice whem the lintr was autoenabled with bad defaults to boot. ])

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org