[ESS] How to stop lots of carriage returns with company-quickhelp?

Alasdair McAndrew @mc@01 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Nov 6 09:36:41 CET 2021

Actually I'm not sure if they are carriage returns, or just returns, but in
my emacs, when I enter an R command, then the company mode popups always
put in a few extra lines with each letter I type.

For example, if I type "library",  since each new letter causes a new
popup, by the time I've typed the word I have 12 new blank lines, like this:

> previous_command

> library(

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the R console, or with
company-quickhelp mode, but it's annoying.   I can't find any information
about company-quickhelp causing carriage returns, so it must be something
in the way that the R console is working in emacs.  I could easily stop
this by not using the company-quickhelp mode, but then of course I miss out
on the popups.

I'm using GNU Emacs 27.2 in Linux, and according to emacs info, ESS version
18.10.3snapshot.

Thank you very much.

Alasdair

--