[ESS] unexpected behavior for Emacs-27.1-1-modified-1 for two MacBooks.

Thu Jan 28 04:53:58 CET 2021

On 26 January 2021 at 18:59, Dirk Eddelbuettel via ESS-help wrote:

| On 26 January 2021 at 22:07, Stephen Berman via ESS-help wrote:
| | > I. Both machines report in *Messages*
| | >    Package cl is deprecated
| |
| | The NEWS file in Emacs 27 says:
| |
| |   ** The 'cl' package is now officially deprecated in favor of 'cl-lib'.
|
| I know. What I do not know is which of the packages I load tickles this.

This is now solved.

Jeff Mincy was kind enough to email me off-list with the hint about

   (require 'loadhist)
   (file-dependents (feature-file 'cl))

which did not yet "display" a solution leading me to google for 'loadhist
file-depedents' which lead me to

   https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LibraryDependencies

where I learned about variable 'load-history.  Which had lots of lines (many
of course with cl-lib) but in particular one pair with

 ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/ess-18.10.2/julia-mode.elc"
  (require . cl)

and lo and behold that (old) version of julia-mode.el still has a (require
'cl) with a comment that cl-lib could not be used b/c of emacs23.  So I had
edited that and now all is well.

I had of course previously grep'ed by emacs files below ~ and the elpa
directories, but what got me here is that the elpa-* meta packages under
Debian / Ubuntu install under the path above.  I should file a bug with this
fellow named Dirk E. who named looks after the ESS package and get him to
update the Debian package I use on Ubuntu ...

Thanks all for the help. With this I am not fully on Emacs 27.1.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org