[ESS] -> and spaces

Kasper Daniel Hansen k@@perd@n|e|h@n@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Nov 26 09:35:50 CET 2020

Thanks for the work on ESS over the ages. I am happy to see that there is
development happening still.

I have the following code in my .emacs which I use to have the behaviour of
changing a _ keypress into printing <-:

  (define-key ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)
  (define-key inferior-ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)

Now, is this the right way to do it? The thing I see is when I already have
a space, it adds an extra space, whereas it used to clean it up. Let me
illustrate (S indicates space)
  S_
gets converted into
  SS<-S
It used to work like this (a long time ago, before I needed to edit my
.emacs). Reading the manual, does this have to do with smart-underscore
being removed?

Best,
Kasper

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]