[ESS] ess-eval-region Does Not Echo Highlighted Code Into the R Buffer?

Thu May 21 15:41:45 CEST 2020

I've also had 'nowait  as my personal default for many years.    I
find it also more appropriate when showing ESS to others, e.g. when
teaching etc.

Very importantly in practice:  Keep in mind that  prefixing i.e.   C-u
<...>  switches to visible (momentarily)  which is also handy when
demo-ing, teaching, ...

Martin

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 2:01 PM Marc Schwartz via ESS-help
<ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Given that information, I found the related issue report on Github:
>
>   https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/issues/998
>
> reviewed the discussion there and ultimately, found the related commit.
>
> I have modified the value to 'nowait for now, which seems to be a compromise of sorts, given the issues raised.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc
>

> > On May 19, 2020, at 6:05 PM, Alex Branham <alex.branham using gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The default value of ess-eval-visibly recently changed. You probably want to customize it to t or nowait.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > On Tue, May 19, 2020, 5:08 PM Marc Schwartz via ESS-help <ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A clarification, that when I do run the command, on a *single* line in the R buffer, I am getting '>' characters for each line of R code in the region passed, and I get '+' characters if there is a multiline region of code passed.
> >
> > Thus, I might see the following single lines of output in the R buffer, as examples:
> >

> > or

> > after the command is run on a region of R code.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Marc
> >

> > > On May 19, 2020, at 4:51 PM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz using me.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I just updated my ESS/Polymode installation today via melpa, and unless I am missing something, I noticed that the use of ess-eval-region via "C-c C-r" does not seem to echo the highlighted R code region into the R buffer, which it had been doing until now.
> > >
> > > The code does execute, confirmed when I check for the resultant object.
> > >
> > > Am I missing new behavior, or perhaps a setting that changed someplace, or that I introduced a conflict with the updates today?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Marc Schwartz

Martin <Maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch>  https://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler
Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich  HG G 16      Rämistrasse 101
CH-8092 Zurich, SWITZERLAND
phone: +41-44-632-3408       fax: ...-1228      <><