[ESS] Prevent new buffer for help from point

Wed Feb 5 17:26:57 CET 2020

When I have e.g. a local variable arr (for array) and start typing

  print(arr

in an ESS buffer, I first (briefly) get a helpful and uninstrusive dropdown
starting with arrows, array and more.

But annoyingly, a split second later it flips to a new help buffer (entitled
*ess-command-output*) which the help text for arrows. I absolutely do not
want that.  I have been unable to turn it off though.

I am running the last release, and I have a somewhat muddled .emacs also
enabled irony and a few more modes helpful for programming in different
languages, but this behaviour seems to be ESS specific. How do I stop it?

Sorry to be asking such a noob question after what must now be a quarter
century of Emacs, R and ESS...

Dirk