[ESS] SOLVED: Issue with polymode installed from ELPA

Sparapani, Rodney r@p@r@p@ @end|ng |rom mcw@edu
Sat Oct 5 17:41:15 CEST 2019

So, I had two NEARLY identical installations: one working and
one not working.

A close comparison of both .emacs files pointed out the problem.

For some reason, I deleted the following lines from one of them
which caused all of my self-inflicted problems.

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)

I guess I thought that these lines only had to do with installing packages.
However, there is a comment that precedes these statements which
should have tipped me off…
;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.
(require 'package)

I guess this proves that working with packages can still be messed
up by dummies ;o)  I don’t remember having these kinds of
problems with the XEmacs packaging system, but I guess I haven’t
done that in the last 6 years so maybe I am forgetting these SNAFU.

Rodney

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]