[ESS] running R remotely via tramp

Jeremie Juste jerem|eju@te @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 3 22:16:14 CEST 2019

Hello Chris,

I cannot provide a fix for your problem because I don't know what is
inside the /home/me/bin/R.csd3. This file seems to be on your localhost
isn't it? but as a way around the problem you can try

   - ssh to the remote host (outside of emacs)
   - start screen session
   - detach it
   - open shell in emacs (M-x shell)
   - ssh to the remote host again in the emacs shell
   -  resume the screen session (screen -r)
   -  start the version of R of your preference
   - finally attach ESS to the R process using M-x ess-remote in the shell buffer where you started R

Hope this helps,
Jeremie