[ESS] Argument Suffix and Completion

Joshua Krusell j@@@h|r|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 25 18:21:29 CET 2019

Hi All,

I'm attempting to force all function argument completion in R to
surround '=' with spaces. This works fine when company kicks in after
the idle delay since ess-R-argument-suffix is set to ' = ' by default.
However, if I try to trigger completion with <TAB>
(ess-indent-or-complete) then the argument suffix spacing seems to
follow R's `utils::rc.getOption("funarg.suffix")`.

This latter point is documented in the manual, but if I set it to ' =
' in .Rprofile, then the completion offered by company after idling
becomes screwed up with extra spacing. I'm sure I'm missing something
obvious, but is there any way to get this behaviour consistent so that
ess-R-argument-suffix and funarg.suffix play nice?

This was tested on Emacs 26.1 with ESS 18.10.2. Full init.el pasted below.

Cheers!
jsks

(setq tab-always-indent 'complete)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/company-20190316.101/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/local/ess-18.10.2/lisp")

(require 'company)
(global-company-mode)

(require 'ess-site)
(setq ess-tab-complete-in-script t)