[ESS] ESS+Polymode Questions

Alex Branham @|ex@br@nh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 7 16:24:03 CET 2019

On Wed 06 Mar 2019 at 18:53, Marc Schwartz via ESS-help <ess-help using r-project.org> wrote:

> Three questions:
>
> 1. While the syntax highlighting seems to be generally preserved in terms of fonts and colors from ESS and auctex, the following text:
>
>  <<results=*>>=
>
>  @
>
> that defines the boundary of an R chunk is bolded in black instead of red. I Googled for polymode colors but did not see anything obvious, so was wondering if someone can point me to the fontlock settings for the above to change it from black to red. Red stands out better for my aging eyes...

Usually M-x describe-face defaults to the face under point, perhaps
that's what you need?

> 2. When starting an R session (M-x R), the new R buffer opens in a new frame to the right of the current frame, rather than in the current frame, as was the case with ESS. Is there a way to change this behavior so that it opens in the current frame? I generally work with my R/Rnw files in the top frame and the R session in the lower frame, so this is a quirk that I would like to change, if possible.

This is probably a result of ESS respecting `display-buffer'. If you
want R to start in a window below your current buffer, use something
like this:

(add-to-list 'display-buffer '("*R" (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-at-bottom)
  (window-width . 0.5) (reusable-frames . nil)))

Let me know if that doesn't do what you want.

> 3. After opening a Rnw file and starting an R session, I get the following message in the flymake log buffer:
>
> Warning [flymake FileName.Rnw[R]]: Disabling backend flymake-proc-legacy-flymake because (error Can’t find a suitable init function)
> Error [ess-r-flymake  *ess-r-flymake*]: Need ‘lintr‘ version > v1.0.3
>
> I do have lintr version 1.0.3 installed from CRAN and, based upon a Google search, I have the following in my .emacs:
>
> (remove-hook 'flymake-diagnostic-functions 'flymake-proc-legacy-flymake)
>
> prior to both ESS and polymode being loaded.
>
> Is this a temporary situation pending a yet to be released version of lintr, or is there something else going on here?

Yes, we rely on lintr features not yet released on CRAN. You can get the
development version with devtools::install_github("jimhester/lintr").

Thanks,
Alex