[ESS] disable console help when "pausing"

clark richards c|@rk@r|ch@rd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 26 17:22:49 CET 2019

Hi all,

I recently updated ESS on Linux Mint, using Emacs 25.3, to melpa
version 20190217.1421. It had probably been a year (or two) since I
had last updated ESS through melpa.

Since the update, I have found that when I am working in an
interactive session that the default behavior if I "pause" for any
length of time while typing a function name is to bring up the help
page for whatever is the first hit of auto-complete on that function
name right into the R buffer. To get away from it, I have to jump to
the bottom and hit C-c C-c to get back to a prompt. I find it rather
annoying, and would prefer the behavior from before the update (sadly
I don't know what version I was previously running).

I have dug through the docs, the changelogs, and googled all morning
but have not been able to find what controls this behavior or how I
can disable it (but keep the little pop-up windows which I love).

Currently my .emacs has the following:

(require 'ess-site)
(ess-set-style 'RStudio)
(define-key ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)
(define-key inferior-ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)

and

(require 'auto-complete)
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(ac-config-default)

Thanks for any help you can offer, and thanks as always to the ESS devs.

Cheers,
Clark