[ESS] How to type an underscore "_" in emacs with ESS in a SAS program

Karen Taves t@ve@ @end|ng |rom wecker@com
Thu Apr 11 19:58:32 CEST 2019

I am new to using ESS and am using ESS 18.10.2 and trying to type an underscore "_" in emacs in a SAS program and am getting the following error message:
Symbol's function definition is void: ess-smart-S-assign

I suspect that I need to add something to my .emacs file.
My .emacs file as the following 2 lines (and I don’t understand the format of this file so need specific instruction):
(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/scripts/ess-18.10.2/lisp")
(load "ess-autoloads”)

Thank you,
Karen

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]