[ESS] Building 18.10-1 from source

Nicky Chorley nick@chorley @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Oct 30 10:27:07 CET 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to build the latest version from source on Linux. Per the
readme, I run "make", which completes successfully and generates the
compiled Emacs Lisp files under the lisp directory. The problem is then
with "make install":

$ make install
cd lisp; make install
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/nick/software/ess-18.10-1/lisp'
mkdir -p /home/nick/software/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess
cp -p *.elc /home/nick/software/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess
cp -p obsolete/*.elc /home/nick/software/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess
cp: cannot stat 'obsolete/*.elc': No such file or directory
Makefile:41: recipe for target 'install' failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/nick/software/ess-18.10-1/lisp'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 2

No .elc files were generated for the files in obsolete and the Makefile in
lisp explicitly tries to copy them (line 43) and hence fails.

What to do here?

Thanks,

Nicky Chorley

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]