[ESS] help configuring auto-complete for ESS on Windows

Vince West dvincentwest at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:05:01 CET 2018

I've been racking my brain and googling for last 48 hours but have been
unable to figure this out.

RStudio has very nice auto-complete features baked in, but I can't seem to
get it working with ESS.

I am using emacs latest on Windows 10 x64, R3.4.3, installing ESS from
MELPA and installing company-mode from MELPA

For controlled experimentation my init.el file is pretty bare bones (see
below).

I open up a new R buffer and ess mode seems to initialize properly.  I type
M-x company-mode to enable company mode, but I get no autocomplete of any
kind.  Company-mode is working properly on elisp files.  Wondering if
anybody has a working example of ESS autocomplete working on Windows and
can tell me how to get it functioning properly.

I suppose I should also note that during the MELPA installation of ess I
get a messages output that is 737 lines long and is littered with warnings
about obsolete functions, obsolete variables, assignements to free
variables references to free variables, and functions that are not known to
be defined.

Here is my init file

-----
init.el
-----
(require 'package)
(let* ((no-ssl (and (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos))
                    (not (gnutls-available-p))))
       (proto (if no-ssl "http" "https")))
  (add-to-list 'package-archives (cons "melpa" (concat proto "://
melpa.org/packages/")) t)
  )
(package-initialize)

;; emacs controlled settings
(custom-set-variables
 '(package-selected-packages (quote (company ess)))
 '(show-paren-mode t)
 '(tool-bar-mode nil))
(custom-set-faces
 '(default ((t (:family "Consolas" :foundry "outline" :slant normal :weight
normal :height 113 :width normal)))))

(require 'company)

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]