[ESS] Sweave with ESS and AUCTeX

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Jan 19 00:27:33 CET 2018

Hi Gang:

I’ve run into a problem that I can’t seem to figure out.  I have a vignette that I am
writing based on jss.sty (the JSS style) which comes with R.  From the command line
everything works as expected, i.e., “R CMD Sweave --pdf computing.Rnw” produces
computing.pdf without issue.  However, I would hate to have to go to the command
line every time that I want to generate a PDF.  So, I’m using the support in ESS and
AUCTeX as provided by the setting “(setq ess-swv-plug-into-AUCTeX-p t)”.  But,
this doesn’t really work.  I can generate the LaTeX file, computing.tex, but I can’t
generate the PDF.  The way the ESS and AUCTeX integration appear to work is
that compiling .tex uses the standard LaTeX distribution which, in my case, is
TeX Live 2017.  However, TeX Live knows nothing about jss.sty so the compilation
fails.  It seems to me that the way this should work is the following.  Instead of
generating a .tex file and then making a .pdf; this functionality should just emit
“R CMD Sweave --pdf computing.Rnw”, right?  However, I can’t seem to find
this in the docs.  But, I might have missed it.  Anyone have a suggestion on the
best way to go about this with AUCTeX and/or ESS?

Thanks,

Rodney