[ESS] Ever consider changing indentation on #?

Charles C. Berry ccberry @end|ng |rom uc@d@edu
Thu May 4 17:37:47 CEST 2017

On Thu, 4 May 2017, Ista Zahn wrote:

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Lionel Henry <lionel.hry using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 4 mai 2017, at 16:22, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 using gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand I can fix my init.el go avoid this, but it would be nicer
>>> for my purpose
>>> if this were in ESS itself, because I keep telling students to use it
>>> and they are put off/discouraged
>>> by this.
>>
>> Emacs is for people willing to put the effort into customisation.
>> Your students are probably better off with RStudio. That said
>> I agree that good defaults are important.

And there are a bunch of styles from which to choose a personal default.
See below.

> Yes, IMO Emacs/ESS isn't going to compete with Rstudio on
> out-of-the-box convenience. But we can compete on features! Put this
> in your config file
>
> (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
>          (lambda()
>            ;; don't indent comments
>            (setq ess-indent-with-fancy-comments nil)
>            ;; turn on outline mode
>            (setq-local outline-regexp "[# ]+")
>            (outline-minor-mode t)))
>
> and not only will single # comments not be aligned at comment-column,
> but code folder will work too!

There are `off-the-shelf' styles like `Rstudio' that might satisfy Paul's
student.

Setting `ess-default-style' to `Rstudio' gives these settings:

  (RStudio
   (ess-indent-offset . 2)
   (ess-offset-arguments . open-delim)
   (ess-offset-arguments-newline . prev-line)
   (ess-offset-block . prev-line)
   (ess-offset-continued . straight)
   (ess-align-nested-calls)
   (ess-align-arguments-in-calls "function[ 	]*(")
   (ess-align-continuations-in-calls)
   (ess-align-blocks)
   (ess-indent-from-lhs arguments)
   (ess-indent-from-chain-start . t)
   (ess-indent-with-fancy-comments))

Or one can customize the `OWN' style and select it. See the
`ess-style-alist' docstring for more details.

HTH,

Chuck