[ESS] Ever consider changing indentation on #?

Paul Johnson p@u|john32 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 4 16:22:38 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Stephen Eglen <sje30 using cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> hi Paul,
>
>> "what the Hell, the folding is borked!". This is more and more common
>> with the adoption of markdown-style commentary within R files.
>
> can you give an example of the markdown-style commentary?

Here is an R file that has "Rstudio sections" that begin with #.  I just tested
with their gui and the magic recipe for howto is written below.  It is
something like
Emacs org mode, I suppose. Code folding. This is an example of a
file that gets "destroyed" by Emacs/ESS indentation

## Paul Johnson
## 20170504

## Open this file in Rstudio, you'll see what I mean

# Here is a section from Code-> insert section ----------------------------

x <- rnorm(100)
y <- rnorm(100)

## The effect of "Code -> Insert section" is to create a left aligned single #.
## Apparently, it follows with dots out to right edge.

# Here is a second section from Code -> insert section --------------------

z <- function(a, b, c){
    y <-3
    y + 7
}

##  After this, in editor Rstudio, then the sections can be folded (hidden)

# Third section ----

## How to create a section without using Rstudio menu?
## TO create this section, I did not use Rstudio menu. I insert
## 1. one #
## 2. a space
## 3. some words
## 4. Four dashes

## the # at begin and dashes at end is signal to R studio this is a section.

I understand I can fix my init.el go avoid this, but it would be nicer
for my purpose
if this were in ESS itself, because I keep telling students to use it
and they are put off/discouraged
by this.

I'm not an Rstudio user, but try to cooperate with some of them :)

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson   http://pj.freefaculty.org
Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis http://crmda.ku.edu