[ESS] working directory lost when R session closes

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 16:31:31 CEST 2017

Do you notice this:

cd into a folder, say "~/tmp/project/R" and start emacs with a file in
there. The working directory correctly shows "~/tmp/project/R".

Then launch an R session. When you quit the R session, and start a new
R session, the working directory changed, it becomes "~/tmp/project".

This is just a little inconvenient if you get an R session with some
crap in it and you close it down to start fresh, but the WD is no
longer correct. Its necessary to close emacs and re-open the file.

I'll paste in the Emacs session transcript to show what I mean. The
only thing I do after the q() is hit the big blue R button:

> getwd()
[1] "/home/pauljohn/GIT/rockchalk/package/rockchalk/R"
> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n

Process R finished at Fri Jul 14 09:30:04 2017

R version 3.4.1 (2017-06-30) -- "Single Candle"
Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

--
Paul E. Johnson   http://pj.freefaculty.org
Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis http://crmda.ku.edu