[ESS] feature request : completion of available packages name

Charles C. Berry ccberry @end|ng |rom uc@d@edu
Wed Jan 4 00:18:26 CET 2017

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017, Martin Maechler wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Samuel BARRETO
> <samuel.barreto8 using gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you think it would be difficult to add some kind of completion backend
>> to complete the package names when typing `library(` ?

[deleted]

> More seriously: We do something like that already in ESS for quite a
> while now.... but I don't recall the details.

I suspect Martin knows this, but ...

 	C-c C-e C-l

runs ess-load-library.

With `ido' enabled, it puts a list in the minibuffer where fuzzy matching
will narrow it down to the package one wants. Hitting TAB will
display all the package names that fuzzily match in a completion buffer.

Thanks for reminding me of the nifty feature!

Chuck