[ESS] Help in compiling ESS

Paola.Giovannini at infineon.com Paola.Giovannini at infineon.com
Tue Feb 14 13:44:16 CET 2017

Dear ESS experts,

I've always been using emacs as an editor and recently I started to work with R, therefore I would be very happy to be able to use the functionality of ESS.

I don't have my own linux computer but I use machines on a farm, so I don't have access to the installation of emacs or R.
The linux distribution installed is:

Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:        5.11
Codename:       Tikanga

I tried to install ESS in my home and to compile it, but I get this errors:

:/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10$
|=> ls
COPYING    Makeconf  README.md    VERSION  ess-autoloads.el  install-sh     rsn.txt
ChangeLog  Makefile  RPM.spec     debian   etc               lisp           test
LDA        OONEWS    RPM.spec.in  doc      fontlock-test     mkinstalldirs
:/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10$
|=> make
cd etc; make all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10/etc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10/etc'
cd lisp; make all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10/lisp'
emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file -l ./ess-comp.el -f batch-byte-compile ess-custom.el
Symbol's function definition is void: defvaralias
make[1]: *** [ess-custom.elc] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/giovannp/ess/ess-16.10/lisp'
make: *** [all] Error 2

The functionality I mostly need is the text highlighting, is there somethink I can do?

Thanks
Paola.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]