[ESS] how to change the default ess-style?

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Dec 13 16:53:00 CET 2017

I'm trying to persuade ess to use the RStudio- style by default. I
upgraded to ess-17.11 (emacs 24.5+1-11+deb9u1). I tried some solutions
suggested here,

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7502540/make-emacs-ess-follow-r-style-guide

This one does something bad and every other attempt to load a file fails,

(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'my-r-style-hook)
(defun my-r-style-hook ()
  (when (string-match (file-name-extension buffer-file-name) "[r|R]$")
    (ess-set-style 'RStudio)))

I tried this one,

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (ess-set-style 'RStudio-)
	    (setq ess-offset-arguments 'prev-line)))

It seems to do something,

ess-style is a variable defined in `ess-custom.el'.
Its value is RStudio-
Local in buffer MxAlgebra.R; global value is RRR

but the indention style still doesn't even remotely match RStudio.

Can somebody provide some elisp that works?

Thank you.

--
Joshua N. Pritikin, Ph.D.
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics