[ESS] Prevent ESS From Writing .Rhistory

Stephen Eglen @je30 @end|ng |rom c@m@@c@uk
Fri Sep 9 12:00:27 CEST 2016

> I found the cause of the password echoing: the "Process Echoes" menu
> item in the iESS->Process menu is checked.  This is also the case when I
> load ESS in Emacs started with -Q.  Both with -Q and with my
> initializations, comint-process-echoes is nil (the default), and the
> above menu item reverses this value, activating echoing.  So the obvious
> question is, why isn't this the case for those ESS users (apparently
> almost everyone) who don't get the password echoing?  For these users,
> it seems comint-process-echoes is (changed to) non-nil when ESS is
> loaded; why -- or why doesn't that happen for me?

Thanks Steve; this sounds promising.

In my .emacs file I have

;; In Emacs 22, this has become necessary:
(setq ess-eval-visibly-p nil)

I recall this was needed otherwise *R* buffers became very slow to
interact with.

When I change that to t, I see the password echo...

Stephen