[ESS] Prevent ESS From Writing .Rhistory

Stephen Eglen @je30 @end|ng |rom c@m@@c@uk
Thu Sep 8 20:12:51 CEST 2016

> For me it's the same as for Rich Heiberger: dots when entering the
> password in the minibuffer but then it gets printed in cleartext after
> the "Password: " prompt in the *R* buffer.  This is with R version 3.3.1
> Patched (2016-09-02 r71210) Platform: x86_64-suse-linux-gnu (64-bit),
> ESS 16.04 built today from the Git repository (commit 14e80d60) and with
> both a recent Emacs build from the Git master branch as well as Emacs

hi Steve,

interesting - this is the first report on linux that I'm aware of.

Can you try something like the following:

M-x shell

and then in that *shell* buffer try to ssh somewhere that will ask you
for a password.

Does the *shell* also echo the password?

Stephen