[ESS] R-Markdown Locks up in Polymode/ESS

Bill Denney bill at denney.ws
Mon Jan 18 17:43:25 CET 2016

Hi,

I've just started taking advantage of the benefits of polymode and ESS
combined for r-markdown documents having previously manually coded them.
I'm using them to make a vignette for the PKNCA package, and when I scroll
through the .Rmd file, emacs locks up when leaving the first code block
after I make an edit in the block.  It fully locks up, and I can't switch to
the messages buffer in emacs to see the reason for the hang.

Here are the steps to reproduce the error as I'm using it.

Windows 10 (up to date)

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2015-04-11

ESS version: ess-version: 15.09-2 [Released git: 01328e83039f]

Polymode installed via MELPA yesterday: version 20151216.533 as described by
MELPA

Markdown-mode installed via MELPA yesterday: version 20160115.2318 as
described by MELPA

1.      Load the file in emacs

2.      Scroll down to the first code block (see below my signature for the
snippet)

3.      Change "addlastrow" to "setpredose" (I have no R buffers open)

4.      Scroll out of the code block

As I do step 4, it locks up.  This is unfortunately not fully reproducible,
and I can't figure out the specific trigger that changes it from working
normally to hanging.  With previous experience, it looks similar to an
attempted function argument lookup hang, but that is mostly a guess.

Any thoughts to what this could be or ways that I could improve the bug
report with better tracking of how it hangs?

Thanks,

Bill

File snippet:

Two examples are given below.