[ESS] remote R via ssh - customizing the command used to start R

Chris Wallace chris.wallace at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 13:34:52 CET 2016

Dear ESS-help,

I usually run R on a remote server ("serverA") via tramp:

M-x R

and then I reply to the prompt asking for a starting directory by

/ssh:user at serverA:~/

and all has been well.  Now, I need to run R on a different server
("serverB") and there I need to run a command before `R` so that the
right R is found.  Specifically, I need to run `module load R/3.2.3 &&
R`.  I can do so using `M-x shell` and then ssh to serverB, load the
module, and start R.  But I miss some of the functionality with `M-x R`.

I figure everything in ESS is configurable, so I tried to customize
inferior-R-program-name to "module load R/3.2.3 && R" but that failed with

env: module load R/3.2.3 && R: No such file or directory

And, besides, I need to load this module only on serverB, not server A
(which doesn't have the module command at all).

So, where should I look to customize the command used to start R on a
specific remote server?

Thanks, Chris

--
JDRF/WT Diabetes & Inflammation Laboratory (DIL),
NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre,

Website: http://chr1swallace.github.io
DIL Website: http://www-gene.cimr.cam.ac.uk