[ESS] ESS error: Autoloading failed to define function compilation--ensure-parse

Dorazio, Robert bob_dorazio at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 2 00:07:17 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm using Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2013-05-16 on panlong, modified by Debian, i.e., Ubuntu 12.04.

I've been using ESS for years.  I just upgraded to the most recent version
of ESS using Ubuntu's package manager, and now upon starting an R process
using M-x R I get the following error message:

Error in post-command-hook: (error Autoloading failed to define function
compilation--ensure-parse)

in the buffer and R does not work.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Robert M. Dorazio