[ESS] (no subject)

James W. MacDonald jm@cdon @end|ng |rom uw@edu
Sun Jun 21 17:15:56 CEST 2015

I don't dispute that it makes sense. However, I have 15 years of muscle
memory that tell me to hit the up arrow and then C-b or M-b to get to the
point that I want to edit. Which unfortunately is now depositing me on the
preceding line,  which is pretty irritating.

So I could hypothetically work through this to the point where I stop
reflexively going backwards like that, or I could perhaps make Emacs just
do what it used to do, and be all happy that I don't have to change.

I would prefer the latter, but if it isn't in the cards I guess I'll just
have to accept my fate and change with the times.

Jim
On Jun 20, 2015 12:43 PM, "Vitalie Spinu" <spinuvit using gmail.com> wrote:

>  >>> "James W. MacDonald" on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:13:34 -0400 wrote:
>
>  > (define-key comint-mode-map [up]
>  > 'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
>
>  > (define-key comint-mode-map [down]
>  >  'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)
>
>  > In previous iterations of Emacs/ESS, this would return the previous
>  > command, with point at the end of the line.
>
> That indeed seems to have changed in emacs recently and it makes a lot of
> sense.
>
> When you press [up] the matching is done on the text between bol and
> point. With
> the old behavior on the second invocation of the command the input would
> be the
> whole line, which makes it inconsistent. Also you might want to edit the
> input
> line after the first attempt. Then, if you are automatically placed on end
> of
> the line, it would require going back to the editing position or re-typing
> the
> text.
>
>   Vitalie

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]