[ESS] ESS unable to find R on Linux when emacs started by opening a .R file

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:12:53 CEST 2015

Dear list,

I've been re-setting up my laptop after upgrading my Fedora installation to
Fedora 22. I run a locally built R (in ~/R/build/3.2-patched) with a sym
link to the R executable located in ~/bin. I am using the github version of
ESS (setup today).

I can start R in a bash shell in the usual way (typing R), and from within
Emacs shell after M-x shell. I can also do M-x R in a clean Emacs session
(no files loaded into buffers). What is not working for me is starting R
within Emacs via M-x R when I have a .R file open in the Emacs buffer.
Instead I see "Searching for program: no such file or directory, R" after I
accept the suggestion for the starting directory.

Anyone know what is going on here and how to solve this issue?

TIA

Gavin

My .emacs contains:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(display-battery-mode t)
 '(inhibit-startup-screen t)
 '(show-paren-mode t)
 '(size-indication-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:family "Fira Mono" :foundry "CTDB" :slant normal :weight
normal :height 113 :width normal)))))

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/R/ess/lisp/")
(load "ess-site")

;(setq ess-use-auto-complete 'script-only)
;(setq  ess-tab-complete-in-script t)
(setq ess-first-tab-never-complete t)

(delete-selection-mode 1)

;;; ESS
     (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
               (lambda ()
                 (ess-set-style 'C++ 'quiet)
                 ;; Because
                 ;;                                 DEF GNU BSD K&R C++
                 ;; ess-indent-level                  2   2   8   5   4
                 ;; ess-continued-statement-offset    2   2   8   5   4
                 ;; ess-brace-offset                  0   0  -8  -5  -4
                 ;; ess-arg-function-offset           2   4   0   0   0
                 ;; ess-expression-offset             4   2   8   5   4
                 ;; ess-else-offset                   0   0   0   0   0
                 ;; ess-close-brace-offset            0   0   0   0   0
                 (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks
                           (lambda ()
                             (ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace)))))
     (setq ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace-p 'ask)
     ;; or even
     ;; (setq ess-nuke-trailing-whitespace-p t)
     ;;; Perl
     (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
               (lambda () (setq perl-indent-level 4)))

(add-to-list 'custom-theme-load-path
"~/.emacs.d/emacs-color-theme-solarized")
(load-theme 'solarized t)

--
Gavin Simpson, PhD

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]