[ESS] improving ESS/julia

Tamas Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:43:00 CET 2015

Hi,

I would like to make some improvements to the Julia part of ESS,
especially for evaluating code from a buffer (consider modules, have
location info for code, etc). I am not an experienced Emacs Lisp
programmer and I don't know the internals of ESS, so I would like to ask
for some help --- I have some Common Lisp experience. First, I just want
to experiment, then submit a PR when
https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/pull/122 is merged.

My question is the following: for each piece of code that is sent to the
inferior process, I would need to wrap it in some Julia code. For
example, for evaluating within a module, I would search backward in the
buffer for something like "module\s-\(\w.*\)\s-" to find the module
name, and then send

(concat "eval(" module_name ", :(" string "))")

Which function should I modify for this? ESS-SEND-STRING is not using
the buffer any more, and I don't know if I should modify
ESS-SEND-REGION.

BTW, what's the best way to use ESS from a git repo? Just add the lisp
diretory to the load path, and that's it?

Best,

Tamas