[ESS] Start 64bit R

Stephen Eglen S@J@Eg|en @end|ng |rom d@mtp@c@m@@c@uk
Mon Apr 6 19:38:50 CEST 2015

Thanks Kevin, got the attachment.

> distribution is plain old "disgruntlement".  I don't like the fact that
> "R-newest" in ESS *means* 32-bit.

> I'd also like a more robust, long-term solution. I don't want the next
> version of ESS to break my inelegantly hacked solution.   As for
> long-term, my first home computer was an IBM 386SX -- running the
> hand-coded-in-assembly version of Freemacs -- so I've gone through these
> transitions before.  Presumably, at some point we'll start using 128-bit
> instead of 64-bit.  And then I'll want the 128-bit version of R to be
> the default.  And my code that searches for the string "64bit" won't
> work.  And it's even possible that it will stop working in a new release
> of R if they change how they designate the 32bit and 64bit versions.

Okay.  I think for now we'll stick with assuming 64bit is stored in the
string.  128bits may be here in a while, but until then I'll tacklet the
simpler problem of 64 vs 32!

For testing, can you access ESS via github (e.g. directly or via MELPA?)
http://melpa.org/#/ess

Do you have multiple versions of R on your system for testing?

Stephen