[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Phillip Lord phillip.lord at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 15:54:17 CEST 2014

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
> Very nice!  I am looking forward to such functionality for org->R !

I'll add that next if you want it. The configuration for org->R is the
same as org->el with a different comment character.

> More general question: What is the problem with indirect buffers? They
> seem to work nice in org.

I talked about this with Stefan Monnier on emacs-help I think, so the
discussion should still be available.

The bottom line problem is the one Vitalie alludes to. Indirect-buffers
share text AND text-properties. This is why syntax highlighting breaks
-- both buffers try to change it at once. The end result is that, while
indirect-buffers seem like an incredibly cool ideal, in practice they
aren't. This isn't fixable because of the way that the Emacs data
structures work.

The bottom line problem is that text properties are too tied up with
strings. This does meant that they are very fast and scale -- with
overlays (which do the same things as text properties effectively) the
start and stop position of each overlay has to be recalculated every
time the buffer changes. If font-lock used overlays, the problem would
not be there. But it does, and so do many other things.

> Will (have to) be replaced in other places (like inside org) as well?

Don't quote me on this, but I think org-mode has already replaced them.

Phil