[ESS] [OT] emacs on OS X (was Re: ESS 14.09 released)

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Sep 15 15:24:45 CEST 2014

Hi Stephen/all,

Sorry for making this thread off-topic.  But I need to say this
somewhere.  Please just ignore.

I recently had to switch to OS X as well.  I see a lot of problems with
emacs here, unfortunately.
I also solved the distnoted problem by upgrading to newest emacs.

But most annoyingly, I get emacs to start only every third time or so.
All the other times the frame (or OS X window) does not appear and the
Emacs process constantly uses 50% of one CPU.  My only 'solution' is to do
kill -9 <PID> and try again until I succeed.

I can not extend my Laptop's uptime over a week without getting an
unstable system which will crash eventually.  Combined with my problems to
start emacs, that makes it a pain to work on OS X.

I do not even know how to debug this.

If you are still reading: Thanks for listening.  I am feeling much
better now ;-)

Andreas