[ESS] Documentation buffer interrupting typing in the iESS buffer

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Fri Sep 5 20:29:59 CEST 2014

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
>> Using the iESS buffer to type and test code, I'm constantly interrupted
>> now by the documentation telling me it did not find information about
>> my private variables.
>>
>> Pretty logic that there is no known documentation (though, that'd be
>> good), but, as you can see http://screencast.com/t/oOl5m8VhggIU,
>>
>> - as soon as I type, the documentation opens a new buffer (and switches
>>   to it) with a warning,
>>
>> - a new iESS buffer is launched as well (see *R:2*),
>>
>> - as soon as I go back to the iESS buffer, this whole process begins
>>   again, blocking me in fact.
>>
>> Do you understand what happens here?
>
> That should not happen.

After an Emacs restart, it did not happen again (so was it before as
well). I don't know what happened, and mostly I wanted information on
how to try debug it.

> I expect this is an ac-use-quick-help which
> triggers an error. How does it behave on functions with documentation?

My session is dead now. I can't answer on this.

> Do you see popups like in http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSAuto-complete ?

Yes, except that arguments aren't shown at the opening paren: I need to
type a few characters before seeing something.

> Does it help if you set ac-use-quick-help to nil?

FYI, this is my current config:

    (with-eval-after-load "auto-complete-config"

      (ac-config-default)

      (setq ac-use-menu-map t)
      (define-key ac-menu-map (kbd "C-n") 'ac-next)
      (define-key ac-menu-map (kbd "C-p") 'ac-previous)

      ;; unbind some keys (inconvenient in Comint buffers)
      (define-key ac-completing-map (kbd "M-n") nil)
      (define-key ac-completing-map (kbd "M-p") nil)

      (setq ac-delay 0)               ; faster than default 0.1

      (setq ac-auto-show-menu 0.2)    ; [default: 0.8]

      (setq ac-quick-help-delay 0.5)
      (setq ac-quick-help-height 10)  ; same as `ac-menu-height'

      (setq ac-candidate-limit 100))

Best regards,
  Seb

--