[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Wed Sep 3 20:19:56 CEST 2014

Vitalie,

The problem we are solving is that Windows names often have embedded
blanks, for example "c:\Program Files", and some DOS versions don't
recognize names with embedded blanks.
w32-short-file-name takes a long name
and returns the 8.3 name which DOS always recognizes.

>From the cygwin home page
Cygwin is:
  a large collection of GNU and Open Source tools which provide
functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows.

The critical word is "similar".

We use the NT emacs function w32-short-file-name.  Previously it was
called win32-short-file-name until GNU decided they didn't like the
phrase "win" applied to MS.  I don't know the history of the name
mswindows-short-file-name.  I hope cygwin emacs has the functionality
to construct 8.3 names (or that it is easily built with the
information I gave in the previous email).
We will then map it into the w32-short-file-name and all should work.

Rich