[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 3 17:48:49 CEST 2014

> If I don't set them in the above way, when running `M-x R', I'm blocked
> with the message:

> Warning (emacs): None of 'w32-short-file-name, 'win32-short-file-name,
> or 'mswindows-short-file-name are defined!
> You will have to manually set   ess-program-files (in ess-custom.el) to
> the correct "8.3"-style directory name.
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Hi Seb:

That's a bug.  We haven't discussed Cygwin recently (mainly because
Cygwin is not popular anymore; so sue me ;o)  Seriously, I can't
imagine why anyone would want to use it today.  Cygwin is a
UNIX/Linux-like environment for Windows; I actually liked it.  But
instead of doing it the hard way, I just installed Linux on my PC and
cut out the middle man.  Of course, not everyone can do that.  But,
there is also VirtualBox.

Beyond that, when you are using Cygwin, it should not be looking for R
for Windows!  It should be looking for UNIX/Linux R as provided by
Cygwin.  Like I said, it is a bug if it's not doing that.  But, a bug
that we most likely will not be setting a high priority on.  You can't
anticipate every possible configuration that Emacs/ESS/R will be
installed in.

Rodney