[ESS] ESS default R not the newest (MS Windows)

Boylan, Ross Ross.Boylan at ucsf.edu
Thu Nov 13 23:58:05 CET 2014

I just installed the latest R, but when I start emacs (using ess from git yesterday)  and M-x R I get version 3.0.2.  This is on Win 7.  Oddly, M-x R-newest gets me 3.1.2.

I believe this is because 3.0.2, and a bunch of earlier files, are in my personal directory (C:\Users\rdboylan\Documents\R), while the latest R is in a system directory (C:\Program Files\R).

Is there some way I can convince ESS to use the latest R as default?  Is the current behavior intentional on the theory that personal installations are preferred?

Ross Boylan