[ESS] How to make `ess-quit' *not* start up R if it is not already running?

Grant Rettke gcr at wisdomandwonder.com
Wed Nov 5 01:47:11 CET 2014

• Start up Emacs
• Confirm that all buffers that are file-based are closed but for the
  one that I am taking notes in
  • Messages and friends are still open
  • There is no R buffers open at this point with inferior processes
    attached
• Execute the key-press `M-x'
• Enter `ess-quit', choose `R', hit enter
• `R' process starts up, and inferior `R' process loads
• Buffer is open with a `R' REPL

What I am wondering, is in cases like this, where there is no `R' to
/quit/ in the first place, may I configure `ESS' to not do step 5,
because it looks like it is getting started up unnecessarily.

Of course, I am asking because I also wonder if it is just my machine
doing this :).

--
Grant Rettke
gcr at wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/