[ESS] indentation of ggplot code and ess from MELPA

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 20 16:08:47 CEST 2014

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    MM> This is using the latest ESS from ELPA; ess-version:
    MM> 13.09-2 [elpa: 20140507.2352]
    MM>
    MM> Well, this is outrageous: The ELPA/MELPA version is *NOT
    MM> AT ALL* ess-version 13.09-2 from all I know.  Rather it
    MM> uses a version of the *development* version of ESS, see
    MM> below.
    >>
    >> > I understood it was the development version (as the ESS
    >> page lists > 13.09-1 as the current stable version). As
    >> for the 13.09-2, it is not > my fault :-): I just copied
    >> what gets left in *Messages* when I type
    >>
    >> > M-x ess-version
    >>
    >> I cannot comment on what Martin meant by "outrageous",
    >> but this is indeed the right way to report the
    >> version. With MELPA you should mostly
    >>
    >> > ess-version: 13.09-2 [elpa: 20140507.2352] look at
    >> -----------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    >>
    >> That because the actual SVN version might not be merged
    >> into github yet, nor SVN or GIT meta information is
    >> available with MELPA, so we cannot do better than this.

Thank you Vitalie.

Indeed, I never meant anything to Ramon's fault.
I apologize if Ramon (or anybody else) felt that way.

Rather I had found it outrageous that
1) ELPA / MELPA distributes the development version of emacs
   packages, in our case ESS, instead of released versions.
2) It uses version numbers that looked like released versions

But with '2)', this was really my mistake and a unfortunate coincidence:
The devel. version of ESS did carry version number 13.09-2 until
2014-05-06 .. and somehow the MELPA version 20140507 (of one day
later) must not have gotten the new VERSION... probably because
it works off the git mirror rather than the svn master
repository.

Martin