[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Tue May 13 23:16:33 CEST 2014

Hi Vitalie,

This is odd:

- I did find "polymode-register-weaver" in polymode-weave.el (you wrote
'polymode-weave*r*.el', a typo?).

- 'define-polymode' is correctly loaded from the polymode.el of the MELPA
archive (~/.emacs.d/elpa/polymode-20140512.2037 for me).

In addition, I renamed the folder where the old polymode was, so that I
don't see how Emacs could possibly still find it (as a matter of fact, if I
completely remove the old folder, I get the same error).

Any idea? Sometimes, Emacs is still a mystery for me...
Mathieu.

Le 13/05/2014 16:09, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> You are probably loading some old polymode.el(c) instead of the MELPA
> one. polymode-resister-weaver is declared in polymode-weaver.el which
> should be loaded by polymode.el.
>
> Try M-x find-function define-polymode, and see where it is loaded from.
>
>    Vitalie
>
>   >>> Mathieu Basille on Tue, 13 May 2014 14:23:20 -0400 wrote:
>
>   > Dear Vitalie,
>
>   > This is great news! I'm glad to see this fantastic project moving forward.
>
>   > I tried to install and use the new version now hosted on MELPA, but I've not
>   > been successful yet. Before I forget, Emacs version is 24.3.1 (on Debian
>   > Jessie). Here are the steps I did:
>
>   > 1) Install the package through Emacs package system. The package installed
>   > without any problem, in the same directory as all other packages
>   > ("~/.emacs.d/elpa/" for me).
>
>   > 2) Remove the 'setq load-path' from my old polymode configuration in my Emacs
>   > init files. However, I left the 'require' statements (poly-R, poly-markdown,
>   > poly-noweb) -- if I remove them too, nothing much happens, files are opened in
>   > Fundamental mode.
>
>   > 3) Activate Markdown and R modes in my init files, as detailed in the section
>   > "Activation of Polymodes".
>
>   > 4) Open a .Rmd or .Rnw file. The initialization fails with the error: "Invalid
>   > function: polymode-register-weaver".
>
>   > 5) Try to nail the problem down, using an empty init file. End up with the same
>   > problem and same error: "File mode specification error: (Invalid function:
>   > polymode-register-weaver)"
>
>   > Am I missing something obvious? Let me know if I can provide additional useful
>   > information.
>   > Could you maybe provide a basic/minimal .emacs that would get us started?
>
>   > Thanks a lot for your efforts on polymode!
>   > Mathieu.
>
>   > Le 12/05/2014 22:00, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :
>   >>
>   >> Hi Everyone,
>   >>
>   >> Polymomde [1] is finally on MELPA. The initialization slightly
>   >> changed. If you have used polymode before, please check out the
>   >> instructions.
>   >>
>   >> Most important recent user visible change is the addition of integrated
>   >> weavers and exporters. There are 4 keys to remember M-n w and M-n e for
>   >> weaving and exporting, and M-n W and M-n E to set the current weaver and
>   >> exporter for the current buffer. Exporters will also weave the file when
>   >> needed.
>   >>
>   >> Each polymode can be associated with multiple weavers and exporters but
>   >> only one at them is active at a time. I hope this user pattern will work
>   >> well. Currently, there are 4 R-related weavers (knitR, knitR-ESS,
>   >> Sweave, Sweave-ESS) and 2 exporters (latexmk and pandoc).
>   >>
> [...]

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard