[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Tue May 13 20:23:20 CEST 2014

Dear Vitalie,

This is great news! I'm glad to see this fantastic project moving forward.

I tried to install and use the new version now hosted on MELPA, but I've
not been successful yet. Before I forget, Emacs version is 24.3.1 (on
Debian Jessie). Here are the steps I did:

1) Install the package through Emacs package system. The package installed
without any problem, in the same directory as all other packages
("~/.emacs.d/elpa/" for me).

2) Remove the 'setq load-path' from my old polymode configuration in my
Emacs init files. However, I left the 'require' statements (poly-R,
poly-markdown, poly-noweb) -- if I remove them too, nothing much happens,
files are opened in Fundamental mode.

3) Activate Markdown and R modes in my init files, as detailed in the
section "Activation of Polymodes".

4) Open a .Rmd or .Rnw file. The initialization fails with the error:
"Invalid function: polymode-register-weaver".

5) Try to nail the problem down, using an empty init file. End up with the
same problem and same error: "File mode specification error: (Invalid
function: polymode-register-weaver)"

Am I missing something obvious? Let me know if I can provide additional
useful information.
Could you maybe provide a basic/minimal .emacs that would get us started?

Thanks a lot for your efforts on polymode!
Mathieu.

Le 12/05/2014 22:00, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Polymomde [1] is finally on MELPA. The initialization slightly
> changed. If you have used polymode before, please check out the
> instructions.
>
> Most important recent user visible change is the addition of integrated
> weavers and exporters. There are 4 keys to remember M-n w and M-n e for
> weaving and exporting, and M-n W and M-n E to set the current weaver and
> exporter for the current buffer. Exporters will also weave the file when
> needed.
>
> Each polymode can be associated with multiple weavers and exporters but
> only one at them is active at a time. I hope this user pattern will work
> well. Currently, there are 4 R-related weavers (knitR, knitR-ESS,
> Sweave, Sweave-ESS) and 2 exporters (latexmk and pandoc).
>
> There is not yet much documentation on how to build your own polymodes,
> weavers and exporters, but it's on the way.
>
> There are plenty of things still to be done. Mostly, tweaks of all sorts
> related to buffer management, indentation and font-lock. But, I don't
> envisage new major features in the foreseeable future.
>

> Best,
>
>     Vitalie
>
>   [1] https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard