[ESS] Integration of pandoc using polymode+knitr

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Thu Mar 27 21:58:27 CET 2014

Le 03/27/2014 04:33 PM, Yihui Xie a écrit :
> Right -- rmarkdown is not a CRAN package _yet_, but no, it is not tied
> to the RStudio company in the sense of a software package. As you can
> see, it is open source (GPL-3): https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown I
> do not think there is anything wrong for a company to write open
> source software packages just because it is a company instead of a
> university or a non-profit organization. There are great open source
> products from both *.com and *.org parties. I'm not sure why you are
> so concerned about the "label", or what your concerns really are, and
> we (==RStudio) will truly appreciate it if you tell us what we did
> wrong. Open source should not stop people from being rich, should it?
> (although I'm not rich...)
>
> The rmarkdown and related products are still under development.
> Eventually rmarkdown will be a CRAN package. I see your point about
> the non-R portion of source code (it is big... or is 8.5Mb really
> big?), but I guess that misses the goal. The goal is not to write more
> R (and only R) code in a package, but to have better-looking output
> with less effort in the low-level tuning of Pandoc parameters. There
> are plenty of R packages on CRAN that do not primarily contain R code,
> right? (e.g. packages for datasets, packages using C++, and why should
> packages containing more JavaScript code be second-class citizens? :)
>
> BTW, I'm happy to continue the discussion in private if this is
> considered off-topic.

Yihui and Martin: I'm no maintainer of the ESS help list, but please don't
switch it to a private discussion. Although I don't have much to add, or
simply comment, I think the issues discussed are also interesting for the
general ESS audience, from a practical (knitr vs. rmarkdown), technical
(size of rmarkdown and inclusion of Javascript), and philosophical (company
vs. non-profit) perspectives. Both your points seems perfectly valid to me
at this point, and they help choosing a tool using the best information
available.

At least I would be interested.

Thanks,
Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard