[ESS] ESS from MELPA, but no ess-mode major mode unless *R* buffer exists

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 09:21:40 CET 2014

Hi Joseph,

You have to add (require 'ess-site) after (package-initialize) in your
emacs file.

ESS doesn't have proper autoloads defined. The work on that started more
than an year ago but was never completed due to emacs's packaging system
limitations back then, and due to our busyness/laziness more
recently. Hopefully we make it work by next 14.03 release. Till then you
have to use "load" or "require" explicitly.

 Vitalie