[ESS] R and LANGUAGE WAS: ESS question

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Feb 20 20:39:33 CET 2014

> Just guessing: perhaps this is something that is set when R is initialized
> and not queried every time something is printed?
>
> Kasper

Hi Kasper:

Good guess, but wrong ;o)  Actually, the problem is in Sys.getlocale()
Recent versions of R have this in its help...

     Note that the ‘LANGUAGE’ environment variable has precedence over
     ‘"LC_MESSAGES"’ in selecting the language for message translation
     on most R platforms.

However, the function itself just ignores LANGUAGE.  I searched bugzilla,
but did not find anything related to LANGUAGE or Sys.getlocale()
I guess this is a feature :o)

Rodney