[ESS] Equivalent to RStudio 'Extract Function'

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Sun Feb 16 09:22:04 CET 2014

Hi all,

I am not a user of RStudio, but I read about a feature that seems really
interesting.  I wonder whether it is possible to do the same in ess.

The feature I am talking about is 'Extract Function'.

I quote from the docs [fn:1]:

,----
| RStudio can analyze a selection of code from within the source editor
| and automatically convert it into a re-usable function. Any "free"
| variables within the selection (objects that are referenced but not
| created within the selection) are converted into function arguments
`----

That seems really useful to me.  Is there similar functionality in ess?

Regards,
Andreas

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://www.rstudio.com/ide/docs/using/source