[ESS] ess-display-help-on-object: Text is read-only

Georg Otto georg.otto at imm.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:42:44 CET 2014

On 10/12/14 00:05, Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Please `M-x toggle-debug-on-error` and paste the backtrace.

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

When I type `M-x toggle-debug-on-error`

I get the message:

> Debug on Error enabled globally

When I enter in R

> ?sort

I get the message:

ess-display-help-on-object: Text is read-only

When I enter

> C-c C-d C-d

it returns:

> Debug on Error enabled globallyForming completions for .GlobalEnv...done
> Forming completions for ESSR...done
> Forming completions for package:stats...done
> Forming completions for package:graphics...done
> Forming completions for package:grDevices...done
> Forming completions for package:utils...done
> Forming completions for package:datasets...done
> Forming completions for package:methods...done
> Forming completions for Autoloads...done
> Forming completions for package:base...done

I see a list of functions, but eg. going with the cursor to runif and
using enter results in

> ess-display-help-on-object: Text is read-only
> Mark set [2 times]
Best wishes,

Georg