[ESS] Error highlighting in iESS

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 19:04:24 CEST 2014

 >>> Sebastien Vauban on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:16:07 +0200 wrote:

 > Hello,
 > I try to move away from R Studio, and go to Emacs ESS for interacting
 > with R.  The advantages are countless, needless to try to convince me!

 > Though, there are some things which I don't get as nicely as in
 > R Studio, among others the error reporting.

 > See http://screencast.com/t/reEu54obwPn.

 > Is there a way to get a similar highlighting in Emacs (i.e., the whole
 > paragraph, instead of just one or two words in red)?  Is it something
 > bad in my configuration?

I am pretty sure this is a bad idea. You might have a stack of a dozen
errors in your iESS. How would you highlight links to those errors if
everything else is red?

Currently are red, non-intrusive and with clear separation between links:

  https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/wiki/img/errors.png

All of that will be lost withing a red paragraph. I don't know how
R-Studio handles that but it looks like this particular thing is one fat
minus of their design.

  Vitalie