[ESS] Disable font-lock-mode in .emacs

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Thu Aug 14 17:51:16 CEST 2014

Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>>
>> disabling the font-lock-mode in the inferior ESS buffer increases the
>> performance considerably. I tried disabling it only for the inferior ESS
>> mode in the .emacs but was unsuccessful. I tried
>>
>> (remove-hook 'inferior-ess-mode-hook `turn-on-font-lock)
>> (add-hook 'inferior-ess-mode-hook (lambda () (font-lock-mode 0)) t)
>>
>> While I think only the first line should be necessary the first line
>> should not hurt...
>>
>> Any idea what I can do? I'm at a GNU Emacs 24.3.1 with ESS 13.09.
>>

> When I set up ESS, I set this because it seemed to have a good goal:
>
> ,----
> | (setq ess-eval-visibly 'nowait)
> `----

I don't think it has anything to do with font-lock...

  ╭────
  │ ess-eval-visibly is a variable defined in `ess-custom.el'.
  │ Its value is t
  │
  │ Documentation:
  │ Non-nil means ess-eval- commands display commands in the process buffer.
  │ If t, ESS waits after each line of the command for the process
  │ output. This results in a nice sequence of input and output but
  │ stalls emacs on long output (like Sys.sleep(5) in R).
  │
  │ If 'nowait, ESS still shows the input commands, but don't wait
  │ for the process. Thus all the output is printed after the input
  │ lines.
  │
  │ If nil, ESS doesn't print input commands and doesn't wait for the process.
  │
  │ This variable also affect the evaluation of input code in
  │ iESS. The effect is similar to the above. If t then ess waits for
  │ the process output, otherwise not.
  ╰────

Best regards,
  Seb