[ESS] ESS Hangs: Text is read-only

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:58:16 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Mathieu Basille
<basille.web at ase-research.org> wrote:
> Le 04/05/2014 03:28 PM, Paul Johnson a écrit :
>
>> Thanks everybody for figuring this out.  I can confirm the new ESS
>> solves the vignette problem I was seeing.
>>
>> I found the MELPA tarball has no docs folder, so when I build that
>> into an Ubuntu package, I have to disable the doc builder. Otherwise,
>> result is adequate and other Ubunutu users are free to share:
>>
>> http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/13.10/amd64/ess/ess_20140404.1519_all.deb
>>
>> I left the packaging stuff there too, in case you are picky.
>>
>> Seems to work fine, only drawback is no "docs" are included in the package
>>
>> No, I'm not willing to setup an apt repo for you because I think
>> that's tedious.  Download the deb and install it yourself.
>

> Uh? What's wrong with using MELPA in the first place??

It is not a deb package for installation across 100s of machines, most
importantly.

Even on just one Ubuntu system, how are you installing that within the
larger package framework without doing a bunch of finger painting as
root?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director