[ESS] problems with help in the development version

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Sep 19 21:33:05 CEST 2013

On 09/19/2013 02:03 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Here's the trace
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments switch-to-buffer 3)
>    (switch-to-buffer buff nil (quote force))

This doesn't make sense to me.  This must be coming from line 551
of ess-help.el: (switch-to-buffer buff nil 'force)

But, that is a totally valid use of switch-to-buffer.  It is either
an emacs bug or a problem with your installation...

switch-to-buffer is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`window.el'.

It is bound to C-x b, <menu-bar> <buffer> <select-named-buffer>.

(switch-to-buffer BUFFER-OR-NAME &optional NORECORD FORCE-SAME-WINDOW)

Display buffer BUFFER-OR-NAME in the selected window.

WARNING: This is NOT the way to work on another buffer temporarily
within a Lisp program!  Use `set-buffer' instead.  That avoids
messing with the window-buffer correspondences.

If the selected window cannot display the specified
buffer (e.g. if it is a minibuffer window or strongly dedicated
to another buffer), call `pop-to-buffer' to select the buffer in
another window.

If called interactively, read the buffer name using the
minibuffer.  The variable `confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer'
determines whether to request confirmation before creating a new
buffer.

BUFFER-OR-NAME may be a buffer, a string (a buffer name), or nil.
If BUFFER-OR-NAME is a string that does not identify an existing
buffer, create a buffer with that name.  If BUFFER-OR-NAME is
nil, switch to the buffer returned by `other-buffer'.

If optional argument NORECORD is non-nil, do not put the buffer
at the front of the buffer list, and do not make the window
displaying it the most recently selected one.

If optional argument FORCE-SAME-WINDOW is non-nil, the buffer
must be displayed in the selected window; if that is impossible,
signal an error rather than calling `pop-to-buffer'.

The option `switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point' can be used
to make the buffer appear at its last position in the selected
window.

Return the buffer switched to.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations