[ESS] Emacs taking over CPU

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Sep 17 00:31:12 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 10:24:43AM -0700, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> The problem probably arises because you (or eldoc) sends some code to
> subprocess when it is busy. This should happen extremely rarely, and
> only when you are using visible evaluation (ess-eval-visibly == t).
>
> In any case C-g should always help.
>
> The issue should be even less frequent with new ESS13.09.
>
>   Vitalie
My experience is that if I C-g it cancels commands I had scheduled, e.g.,
date()
something_slow()
date()

If I go C-c C-c for this block it hangs up emacs while evaluating
something_slow().  C-g gets emacs back and also shows intermediate
output from something_slow().  But the second date() is not executed.

Is this  the expected behavior?

It's a little bit of a problem because I can't get the time the job
finishes.  I usually call like system.time(something_slow()) to get
the info I want, but I think sometimes that suffers from overflow (for
jobs that run for days).

Ross Boylan